컨텐츠

Interview

1. Home
  2. Interview
Lloyd Banks - 뉴욕 힙합의 희망, G-Unit의 Lloyd Banks 내한 인터뷰
리드머 작성 | 2009-10-19 12:22 업데이트 | 추천추천하기 0 | 스크랩스크랩 | 38,813 View

1300935136.jpg

Lloyd Banks 인사말

현 힙합 씬을 이끌고 있는 거대 집단 쥐유닛(G-Unit). 그리고 언더그라운드에서부터 올라와 그 거대 집단의 핵심멤버로 우뚝 선 뉴욕힙합의 희망, 로이드뱅스(Lloyd Banks)가 지난 3월 30일 한국에서 첫 내한공연을 펼쳤다. 그는 이날 "On Fire"를 비롯한 약 20여 곡을 멋진 퍼포먼스와 함께 선보이며 정열적인 무대를 선사했다. 이 인터뷰는 이번 공연을 주관한 (주)그레이스 필름 측의 주선으로 대기실에서 그와 단독으로 이루어진 인터뷰다. 인터뷰를 위해 대기실에 들어가자 쇼파에 앉아있던 로이드뱅스는 일어나서 우리 한 명 한 명에게 반갑게 힙합식 악수(?)를 건넸다. 그렇게 인터뷰는 시작됐다.

리드머(이 하 ‘리’) : Wassup, I am from black music Media called rhythmer.net. First, I would like to welcome you to Korea and it’s our pleasure to interview you. Can you say hi to all your Korean fans?

만나서 반갑다. 우리는 한국의 대표 흑인음악전문미디어 리드머에서 나왔다. 한국에 온 걸 환영하며, 인터뷰하게 되어서 매우 기쁘다. 한국 팬들에게 인사 부탁한다.

Lloyd Banks(이하 ‘Lloyd') : What’s up to all my fans in Korea? I am glad to be here and hope you have good time watching the show. If you don’t get a chance to see the show, I hope you hear about it and come back to see the next one.
한국 팬 여러분 안녕하세요? 한국에 와서 정말 기쁘고 콘서트를 보며 즐거운 시간이 되길 바란다. 만약 이번 공연에 못 왔다면, 다음 공연은 꼭 오길 바란다.

리 : Thanks. How do you feel to be in Korea?
한국 땅을 밟은 소감이 어떠한가?

Lloyd : I feel blessed. I am happy to be here period. I am happy to travel anywhere and to go somewhere you haven’t been is even more special. I will never forget it. When I am here two, three, four times down the line, you are going to remember me two or three years ago.
축복 받은 기분이다. 그냥 행복하다. 어디로 가든 항상 좋은데, 한번도 오지 못한 곳에 오는 건 더 좋다. 잊을 수 없는 추억이 될 것이고, 나중에 2번째, 3번째 방문 때는 사람들이 나를 기억할 것이다.

리 : So, have you toured around the city?
관광은 좀 했는가?

Lloyd : Last night, I went out to a Hiphop club. It’s about maybe 20 minutes from here. I don’t know name of the club. It was crazy, great experience. I met a lot of people and dance floor was packed. Actually, I heard about 20 of my records. My solo records I have done with my crew. R&B, clubbing music, hardcore rap. I actually heard some Korean music. Korean Hiphop. It’s good experience to see all the people having good time to every song.
어제 밤에 여기서 20분 정도 떨어진 곳에 있는 클럽에 갔는데, 이름이 기억이 나질 않는다. 장난 아니더라. 사람도 많이 만났고 댄스 플로어도 넘쳐났고. 내 솔로 곡과 G-Unit곡을 한 20여 곡 정도 들은 것 같다. R&B, 클럽음악, 하드코어 랩, 거기에 한국 힙합 곡도 좀 들은 것 같다. 사람들이 어떤 곡이던 간에 즐겁게 노는 걸 봤는데, 정말 좋은 경험이었다.

리 : I accidentally ran into your photo last night you took with a Korean woman. So, what do you think about Korean woman?
그나저나, 어제 클럽에서 한국여성과 찍은 사진을 봤다. 한국 여자에 대해 어떻게 생각하나? (웃음)

Lloyd : Oh man~ I love all woman, woman are beautiful. In the club, it was just like wow. (Laugh) But, New York is so different. Every neighborhood has different culture so you see every race in New York. It’s not like something real new. I am going to go out again tonight and maybe I can find a Korean woman to take her back home. (Laugh)
Oh man~ 난 여자가 좋다. 아름답지 않은가? 어제 클럽에서, 와우! (웃음) 근데, 동네마다 다른 문화가 있어서 여러 인종을 볼 수 있는 곳이 뉴욕이기 때문에 완전히 새롭지는 않더라. 오늘 공연 마치고 또 나가볼까 하는데, 호텔로 같이 갈 여자를 찾았으면 좋겠다. (웃음)

리 : Good Luck, Ha Ha. We got lots of G-Unit fans here in Korea and we basically consider you and 50cent the two big artists within the group. Can you tell us little story about how you met the members and end up forming the group?
행운을 빈다. 하하. 한국에 G-Unit 팬이 아주 많고, 당신과 50Cent를 그룹의 투톱으로 생각하는 팬들도 많다. G-Unit 맴버와 첫 인연과 어떻게 그룹 결성까지 오게 되었는지 궁금하다.

Lloyd : Oh man, I have been rapping since I was eleven, twelve years old. Not professionally, I was still in school. But, 50 Cent had a record deal with Jam Master Jay, rest in peace. So he was first person from my neighborhood that I knew to actually get a record deal and made it more of reality. It was just a dream for me, and then when he got signed, I knew it could happen. I knew him since I was a kid and with Tony Yayo, we lived in the same street. If I come out of my house and look outside, I could see if he was out. That was how close we lived together. It was more like a childhood friendship that turned into a relationship in front of the whole world. There wasn’t adapting to do. It was already there.
그게, 난 11살, 12살 때부터 랩을 했는데, 당시에는 밥벌이가 아니었다. 학교를 다니고 있었으니까. 그렇게 지내다가 50 Cent가 내 주위 사람으로는 처음으로 지금은 고인이 된 Jam Master Jay와 계약을 하면서 점점 모든 것이 현실화되기 시작했다. 처음에는 랩퍼가 그저 꿈이었는데, 50Cent가 그렇게 계약을 하고 나니, 나도 할 수 있다는 생각이 들기 시작했다. 어렸을 때부터 Tony Yayo와 50 Cent랑은 동네친구였다. 집에서 나와서 그의 집 방향으로 고개를 돌리면, 그가 나와 있는지 아닌지 보일 정도로 가깝게 지냈다. 그 정도였으니 어린 시절의 우정이 전 세계 앞에서 설 수 있는 관계로 자연스럽게 변한 것이다. 적응 하거나 그럴 필요 없이, 이미 거기 있었던 인연이다.

리 : Cool, Your first album [Hunger for more] got huge attention here in Korea and especially “On Fire” and “Warrior”. How do you feel like to be in such attention here in Korea?
멋지다. 당신의 첫 번째 앨범 [Hunger For More]가 한국에서도 큰 호응을 얻었다. 특히, “On Fire”와 “Warrior” 같은 곡은 G-Unit 사단의 명곡 중 하나로 꼽히고 있다. 한국에서 이렇게 인기가 많은 것에 대해 어떻게 생각하나?

Lloyd : It’s wonderful. Main thing is because the language difference. Music breaks language barrier. Music becomes hypnotic. You here it so many times, you start knowing the lyrics and sing along. They were singing along some of my tracks in the club last night. That’s powerful. Music is powerful when you can teach someone English through music. In school, you might be pressured, but when it sounds good enough to like, it’s powerful thing. That’s biggest thing for me to be able to be on stage and hear people say my words back to me.
환상적이다. 언어의 벽 때문에 더욱 그런 것 같다. 음악은 언어의 벽을 깬다. 음악을 계속 듣다 보면 이렇게 최면에 걸리면서 가사를 외우기 시작하고, 따라 부른다. 어제 밤, 클럽에서 사람들이 내 노래들을 따라 부르던데, 그건 정말 대단한 것 같다. 음악을 통해서 누군가에게 영어를 가르칠 수 있다는 것 자체가 대단하다. 학교에서는 “이것 해야 되, 저것 해야 되” 하면서 스트레스와 압박을 받지만, 그게 좋아할 만큼 사운드가 멋지다면, 대단해 지는 것이다. 나에게 가장 큰 기쁨은 무대에 올라 랩을 하고 사람들이 내 랩을 따라 하는 것을 듣는 것이다.

1063498202.jpg

리 : After big success of your debut album, how has your changed?
그렇게 데뷔 앨범이 히트한 후, 인생이 어떻게 바뀌었나?

Lloyd : It changed rapidly. It changed to crazy and dramatic. When I first went on tour with 50 cent and Eminem, I was probably about 20. I remember since I couldn’t get into a club and Eminem had to say “he’s with me let him in or I’m not coming in.” So I had the experience things outside the country early. Now, I am kinda used to it. I know if I come out of my house and someone is out there, he might want an autograph. This is the thing you work hard for and you keep doing it. You can be in denial. When you are in denial, that’s when you see artists out dodging from paparazzi. Don’t come outside if you are not prepared for that.
정말 빠르게 변했다. 정신없고 드라마틱하게. 처음 50Cent와 Eminem과 해외투어를 나갔을 때, 난 20살 정도였다. 아직까지도 기억하는 이유가 클럽에 갔는데 나를 들여보내주지 않자 Eminem이 “나와 함께 그를 들여보내주던가 아니면, 내가 다른 곳으로 가겠다.” 라고 말한 기억이 있기 때문이다. 그렇게 어려서부터 해외에서 새로운 경험을 했다. 지금은 많이 익숙해졌다. 내가 집 밖으로 나갔는데, 누군가 있으면, 그 사람은 분명 사인을 한 장 해달라고 할 것이다. 이런 것 때문에 계속 열심히 음악을 하는 것 같다. 이건 부정 할 수 없는 문제다. 이런 것을 부정하기 시작했을 때, 집 밖에 나오면 파파라치들로부터 숨고 그러는 거다. 집중 받을 준비가 안됐으면, 아예 집 밖에 나오지를 마라!

리 : About your flow and rhymes, what’s your inspiration?
당신의 플로우와 라임에 대해 얘기 해보자. 어디서 영감을 얻는가?

Lloyd : Well, my inspirations for my rhyme. Well… They come from artists I listen to since I was kid. My father and mother were fans of Hiphop. I am 24 and people might think that my Hiphop starts in the 90s, but it really starts in the 80s. Because, what my father and mother would listen to is what I started to listen to. Big Daddy Kane, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Rakim, EPMD, all those artist and then when I became teenager, it was Biggie Smalls, Tupac Shakur, you know Snoop Dogg. And even into the new generation which is us now, you know what I’m saying. So I kinda of have the best of all worlds. I am a 80s baby who would listen to that music and then 90s and 2000s. So now it’s my opportunity and obligation to make somebody else want to rap 10 years from now.
영 감이라… 음… 어려서부터 들었던 랩퍼들에게서 온다. 지금 내 나이가 24살이라서 그런지 사람들은 나의 힙합세계가 90년대부터 시작한다고 생각한다. 하지만, 사실 80년대부터 시작한다. 부모님이 힙합 팬이었고 부모님이 듣던 음악이 바로 내가 듣기 시작한 음악들이다. Big Daddy Kane, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Rakim, EPMD. 10대에는 이런 랩퍼들의 음악을 듣다가 90년대에는 Biggie Smalls, Tupac Shakur, Snoop Dogg, 그리고 2000년에 들어서는 우리들이다. 그래서 그런지 각 세대의 최고만을 듣고 자랐다. 80년대에 태어나서부터 2000년까지. 그래서 이제는 어느 누군가가 10년 후에 랩을 하고 싶다고 느끼게끔 만들어줄 기회가 온 것 같고 (그것에) 사명감도 느끼고 있다.

리 : Now, Let's talk about your recent album [The Rotten Apple], I think that “Hands up” is one of the best and it seems to be on an expansion line from “On Fire”. Is there any interesting stories evolving working on the track?
이제 당신의 최근 앨범 [The Rotten Apple]에 대한 이야기를 해보자. “Hands Up”이 가장 귀에 달라붙는다. 마치 “On Fire”의 연장선상에 있는 듯한데, 작업에 얽힌 이야기를 듣고 싶다.

Lloyd : Actually, my first single from [Hunger for more] was “On Fire”, produced by Eminem, featured 50Cent. When it came down to making the new album, me and Eminem, we click. You know, Em is considered to be a good lyricist and people consider me to be a good lyricist. Naturally, the things that people like about me, they are going to like about him also, so we click. I had the opportunity to work with him again on my new album. He produced the first single again, and it was me and 50Cent together again. It’s kinda like the formula. Not because it was forced, but we have the likancy in our music, so we like working together. Eminem is one of the best producers in the world. He’s up there with the best ones.
내 첫 앨범의 첫 싱글이 바로 Eminem이 프로듀싱하고 50Cent가 피쳐링 해준 “On Fire”였다. 나랑 Eminem은 잘 맞는다. 무슨 소리냐면, 사람들이 Eminem의 가사도 그렇고 내 가사도 그렇고 좋은 가사라고 한다. 그래서 내 음악을 좋아하는 사람들은 비슷한 이유로 Eminem을 좋아한다. 그래서 잘 맞는 것 같고, 이번 앨범에도 역시 그와 같이 할 기회가 생겼고, 50Cent도 역시 도와줬다. 일종의 공식 같은 것이다. 누가 시켜서 그런 것도 아니고  그저 서로의 성향이 비슷하다 보니 같이 일하는 것도 즐겁다. Eminem은 최고의 프로듀서지 않은가. 저 위에 “그들”과 함께 위치하는 최고의 프로듀서.

리 : Are you going to sing “Hands up” for us tonight?
그럼 오늘 밤에 들을 수 있는 건가?

Lloyd : Oh yeah, definitely. I am going to records from first album, second album, the G-Unit album, “Get Rich or Die Tryin’” movie soundtrack, freestyles. And chop it all up. I like being on the stage and most of times, they have to cut my mic off.
그럼 당연한 것을. 1, 2집, [Get Rich or Die Tryin’] 사운드트랙에 수록된 곡들이랑 프리스타일도 준비했다. 예쁘게 잘 잘라서, 멋지게 해볼 생각이다. 난 무대에 올라가는 것이 좋다. 웬만해서는 주최 측에서 마이크를 꺼버리더라.

리 : We will be looking forward for that. I heard there was another album that you have finished before [The Rotten Apple], and somehow it got into the streets so you had to work all over again. Can you tell us something about that?
기대해보겠다. 그나저나 [The Rotten Apple] 이전에 완성한 앨범이 있었는데, 그게 유출되는 바람에 새롭게 작업을 했다는 얘기를 들었다. 좀 더 자세히 알고 싶다.

Lloyd : I actually recorded two albums last year. About 20 or more songs got leaked out early in the year, probably in January or February. I was slated to come out in summertime, but my album actually came out in October. That’s because I lost 20 records that leaked from studio and then I made another whole 40 records and pick the records from that and get it over. It seems real difficult and it could be, but I always record more than what I need because I rather have too many than not enough. You never know when something like that could happen. Eminem went through a situation when he lost few records and had to the same thing. Everything happens for a reason. If that never would happen, you wouldn’t got [The Rotten Apple]. You would have something else.
사 실, 작년에 2개의 앨범을 녹음했다. 그런데 여름에 발매예정이었던 20여 곡이 연초에 새어나갔고, 새로운 앨범을 들고 10월에 다시 나왔다. 스튜디오에서 샌 것 같은데, 그 이후로 40여곡을 다시 녹음해서 마음에 드는 것을 골라 [The Rotten Apple]을 발매했다. 이런 작업이 정말 힘들어 보일 수도 있고 실제로 힘들 수도 있지만, 나중을 생각했을 때는 부족한 것 보다 풍족한 것이 더 좋으니 보통 나는 필요 이상의 곡을 녹음한다. 절대 곡이 새어나간다는 일은 예상을 못하지 않는가. Eminem도 예전에 몇 곡이 풀려 고생한 적이 있다. 그래도 모든 일에는 다 이유가 있듯이, 그렇게 20곡이 새어 나갔기에 지금 [The Rotten Apple]이 있는 것이다.

1316938104.jpg

리 : Personally, which one do you think is better, [The Rotten Apple] or the one that leaked out?
그럼 개인적으로는 유출된 앨범과 [The Rotten Apple]중에 어떤 것이 더 마음에 드나?

Lloyd : [The Rotten Apple] period. Because the material that got out wasn’t finished. I write all my music so I might write a record that you hear female singing the chorus or an R&B singer singing the chorus, but I actually write it myself. So the album that got leaked out had me doing the chorus or singing the stuff. And it wasn’t mixed down yet. It was straight two tracks from the studios.
새어나간 것들은 완성품이 아니었으니까 당연히 [The Rotten Apple]이다. 보통 내가 곡을 다 쓰는데, 예를 들어 여성 보컬이나 R&B가수가 코러스를 부르는 노래가 있다면, 내가 먼저 파트를 쓰고 녹음을 한다. 새어나간 곡들은 내가 코러스를 부른 것들(편집자 주:가 녹음 상태의 것)이었고 또, 스튜디오에서 2트랙으로 끝낸 믹싱도 안 된 곡들이었다.

리 : About the mixtapes, I know you have lots of love for the mixtapes and was awarded 2004 Mixtape Artist of the Year. So what is the characteristic of the mixtapes that gathers people?
믹스테입으로 주제를 바꿔보자. 당신은 2004년 올해의 Mixtape 아티스트로 선정 될 만큼 믹스테입에 대한 애정이 각별한 것으로 안다. Mixtape의 어떤 매력이 사람들을 그렇게 끌어들이는 것 같나?

Lloyd : Oh man, the mixtape market now is little different from 2003 and 2002. I want to say rest in peace to Justo, who actually organized the mixtape awards who gave me the award. At that time, I was still on upcoming. I wasn’t considering this(the tour). I was satisfied with being no.1 person on the underground because that’s what I came up on. So, my mixtape award is one of the most important to me because people gave it to you. When you win big awards like grammy, it about people in suits and ties and they probably never heard your album before. When I got the mixtape awards, that was hot for me. The street ain’t going to lie to you. If you are not good, they are going to tell you are not good and you won’t even make it here. For me to be here, I owe it all to that. It was hundreds of rappers doing the same thing in New York. You have to stand out out of hundred mixtapes. But, now it went from hundred to five hundred. So it’s even harder to break through on the market. Now, you see people doing freestyles and shooting a video to the freestyle, something to add more value. It’s good though. It’s time for someone to find a new formula, a new way to get into Hiphop.
Oh man, 지금 mixtape 시장은 2002년이나 2003년과 많이 틀린 것 같다. mixtape 시상식을 처음부터 계획하고 나에게 상을 준 사람은 지금은 고인이 된 Justo라는 사람이다. 당시 난, 서서히 주목 받고 있던 시기였는데, 이런 해외 투어 같은 것은 생각도 못했다. 그저 내가 자란 언더그라운드에서 최고가 되는 것이 기뻤다. 그래서 그런지 mixtape상은 내게 있어서 가장 큰 상이다. 결국에는 리스너들이 준 것이 아닌가? 내 앨범을 한 번도 안 들어본 양복이나 차려 입고 넥타이 매는 사람들이 돌리는 그래미 같은 큰 시상식과는 다르다. 거리에는 거짓이 없다. 싫으면 싫다, 좋으면 좋다, 확실히 자기 목소리를 내는 매체가 바로 거리다. 그래서 내가 지금 여기 있는 것을 mixtape상으로 돌리고 싶다. 내가 당시 상을 탈 때는 100명 정도의 경쟁자가 있었는데, 그 중에서 돋보이는 것이 힘들었다. 근데 지금은 100명에서 500명까지로 늘어나면서 돋보이기가 더욱 힘들어졌다. 요새는 프리스타일을 녹음하고  거기에 뮤직비디오를 찍는 형식으로 가치를 높이는데, (이런 방식이) 참 좋은 것 같다. 누군가가 힙합에 접근하는 새로운 방식이나 매체를 찾을 때가 된 것 같다.

리 : Among the works you have done so far, what is the most memorable working experience?
지금까지 작업해온 것 중에, 가장 기억에 남는 작업은 어떤 건가?

Lloyd : My most memorable working experience is “On Fire” off my first album, working with Eminem and actually seeing what it came out to and what the ending product sounds like. I also had opportunity to work with Dr.Dre recording “Beg for Mercy” I had about four records that I worked on with Dr. Dre. That was amazing for me who grew up looking up to those dudes from NWA days. Even with Eminem, it was big for me. I also worked with Mobb Deep whose record was one of my first album to buy. It’s just big for me to have them on my record. And Snoop Dogg who is my favorite of all time and influenced me to rap. I got a lot of accomplishment on my first album.
데뷔 앨범에 수록된 “On Fire”가 가장 기억에 남는다. Eminem과 같이 작업하면서 점점 곡이 완성되어가고 최종 결과물이 어떤 소리를 내는지 보는 것이 즐거웠다. 그리고 “Beg for Mercy”를 포함해서 4곡정도 Dr.Dre와 함께 작업했는데, NWA 시절부터 그를 우러러본 나로서는 정말 대단한 일이었다. 또, 내가 처음으로 구입한 레코드의 주인공 중 한 팀인 Mobb Deep과의 작업도 좋았다. 그런 사람들이 나의 앨범에 참여한 것은 굉장히 큰 의미를 준다. 아! 시대불문하고 내가 가장 좋아하고 내가 랩을 하고 싶게 만든 Snoop Dogg과의 작업도 빼놓을 수 없다. 데뷔 앨범에서 정말 많은 것을 이뤄냈다.

리 : G-Unit is well-known for diss tracks on other musicians. As you being the core member of the group, you can’t obviously walk away from all those words people spit out. How do you respond to those?
G-Unit은 여러 뮤지션과 디스 관계에 있는 것으로도 유명하다. 당신은 핵심멤버로서 그냥 지나칠 수 있는 문제가 아닌 것 같다. 어떻게 대처하는가?

Lloyd : Oh man, you know Hiphop is competitive. As artist, you have separate competition from people who seek attention. You have to respect our opponent in order to acknowledge it. It’s like being a good fighter. If you are one of the best fighter, and this guys doesn’t even have record then whatever. You want to fight the best. That’s how Hiphop is. If somebody says something aggressive, it turns into a competition. It is what Hiphop is built on, who has better rap. Who is better basketball player, who is better football player. You want to be the best at what you do. It’s always going to be a competition. But if somebody doesn’t have the stats behind it, then whatever. You can’t listen to everything. If you respond to everybody, I would have a thousand diss records. I let my music speak for me.
Oh man, 당신도 알다시피 힙합은 경쟁이다. 아티스트로서 경쟁과 그저 주목을 끌려는 사람을 잘 구분해야한다. 멋진 싸움꾼 같이 상대를 존중함으로써 서로의 존재를 인식하는 것이다. 좋은 싸움꾼이라면 동네 양아치 같은 놈이 덤빈다고 함부로 주먹을 안 쥐듯, 앨범 한 장 없는 놈이 디스 한다고 쉽게 마이크를 꺼내 들지 않는 것이고, 항상 최고의 상대와 싸우고 싶은 마음을 가지지 않느냐? 그게 힙합이고 힙합이 지어진 반석이다. 상대의 자존심을 건드리면, 경쟁이 되는 것이지만, 상대가 정말 터무니없는 경우라면, 어쩌겠는가? 세상에 모든 음반을 다 들을 수 없듯이 모든 디스에 대해 답할 수 없는 것이다. 만약 그랬으면 지금쯤 디스곡이 한 1000곡은 나왔을 것이다. 난 그냥 내 음악이 나 대신 말해줬으면 한다.

1224208480.jpg

리 : Many people consider New York Hiphop is its downward scope. Your debut album is considered the last debut album to sell over million copies. How do you looks at the market now?
뉴욕 힙합이 상당히 침체기에 빠져있는 것 같다. 당신의 첫 번째 앨범 [Hunger For More]는 뉴욕 힙합 역사에 100만장 이상 팔린 마지막 데뷔 앨범이라 기록된 것으로 알고 있는데 당신이 보는 뉴욕 힙합의 현재는 어떠한가?

Lloyd : You can’t really look at it New York because it’s a lot of markets. Hiphop never stayed in one spot. There was when Hiphop was dominated by New York artist, there was time when it was dominated by the west coast artists, down south artist, Midwest artists. It’s going to keep changing. I keep making references to sports because there are so many different kinds of sports. So it’s their job to sell tickets. If it’s football season, they gotta sell football tickets, basketball season starts up, they gotta sell tickets. So it’s my obligation as an artist to shine regardless of which way the music goes. When it comes back, and it will come back; there is time when people wanna hear what’s being said, there is time when people just wanna dance, there is time when people wanna get a message, they want powerful music. So there is time and place for everything, but you have to never stop what you do. When it comes back to what you do, you will be there back on the top. Like I said, it’s about recreating yourself. It will come back and when it does, I am gonna be there.
이건 단지 뉴욕 힙합이라고만 볼 수 없는 문제다. 힙합은 한 번도 한 곳에 머무른 적이 없으니 말이다. 뉴욕이 주류일 때가 있었고, 웨스트 코스트가 힘을 쓸 때도 있었고, 남부가 최고였을 때도 있었고, 중부 뮤지션들이 인기 있었을 때도 있었다. 계속 그렇게 돌아 갈 것이다. 스포츠에 비유를 계속 하지만, 비슷한 것 같다. 종목이 많듯이 힙합 장르도 많은 것이고 야구 시즌일 때는 야구가 인기고 농구 시즌에는 농구가 인기다. 그래서 아티스트로서 음악이 어느 방향으로 흘러가든지 내 자리에서 최선을 다해 빛을 내는 것이 나의 책임이다. 사람들이 가사를 듣고 싶을 때가 있고, 춤추고 싶을 때가 있고, 메시지를 듣고 싶을 때가 있고, 힘 있는 음악을 듣고 싶을 때가 있듯이, 음악이 돌고 돌아 뉴욕으로 다시 돌아왔을 때-분명히 돌아올 것이다- 다시 정상으로 올라 갈 것이다. 돌아 올 것이 왔을 때, 나는 내 자리에서 영광을 누릴 것이다.

리 : You seem to blend it well with both club tracks and East coast raw beats. Personally, which on do like more?
당신은 클럽 음악과 이스트 코스트의 raw한 비트 모두 잘 어울리는 것 같다. 개인적으로 는 어느 쪽을 더 선호하는가?

Lloyd : I like the street records. Before I signed my contract, I wasn’t focusing on the club. I wanted to people in the streets with mixtapes and CDs to really respect me and respect what I was saying. Then once I got the opportunity, you want to show the world that you can make everybody have goodtime and party. But for me, most of my success and respect come from things I have done lyrically. That’s what my career is built on. But to be a complete artist, you have to do everything. You can’t just be a powerful writer. You have to be a songwriter also. You have to have charisma, character and all those things that make a star. I am only 24 and a lot of artists don’t even get their first record deal before 24. For me to have 2 albums and a group album and features on everybody else’s album. I am not gonna rap forever, but I have good 5 or 6 years left. (Laugh)
거리 스타일이 좋다. 처음 계약을 하기 전에는 클럽음악을 거들떠도 보지 않았다. 그저 거리에서 mixtape이나 CD를 듣는 리스너들이 나와 내 가사를 존중해주길 바랐다. 근데, 기회가 생기니까 사람들에게 내가 그들을 즐겁고 신나게 놀 수 있게 해줄 수 있다는 것을 보여주고 싶어졌다. 아무리 그래도 나의 성공은 가사 적으로 이룬 것이 더 크다. 그게 내 음악적 경력이 된 것이다. 하지만, 완전한 아티스트가 되려면, 많은 것이 필요하다. 카리스마, 캐릭터, 그리고 무수히 많은 것이 스타를 만드는 것이다. 난 지금 24살인데, 많은 아티스트가 24살 때까지 한 건의 계약도 못하는 경우가 많다. 난, 지금 벌써 2장의 솔로 앨범이 있고 많은 사람의 곡에 피처링을 해주고 있으니 평생은 힘들겠지만, 앞으로 5, 6년은 더 해먹을 수 있을 것 같다. (웃음)

리 : Can you preview us on your upcoming albums?
앞으로 나올 앨범들이나 진행 중인 작업에 대해 얘기 좀 해줄 수 있나?

Lloyd : I am working on my next album now. I don’t have the title yet, but soon as I have the title you will know. I am almost done with 14 records into that album. I usually record from 40 to 50 records then I pick the best 16 out. I am actually writing while we are out here now. I keep my CD players so little things that stick in my head, even tonight’s experience and going to clubs will end up in my music. You can look forward to that. You can also look forward to acting too. I got a couple things on table. But for most part, I wanna focus on my music and touring. Hopefully, from effects of this show, people will love it and I will be back to do even more cities throughout Korea.
지 금 3집을 준비 중이다. 타이틀은 아직 못 정했지만, 정해지는 데로 알려주겠다. 14곡정도 완성했는데, 보통 한 앨범을 위해 40~50곡정도 녹음한 후, 16곡정도 담아서 앨범으로 발매한다. 사실, 지금 한국에 와서도 계속 쓰고 있는데, 항상 CDP를 가지고 다니며, 머릿속에 떠오르는 자그마한 것들에 대해 써내려가고 있다. 오늘 공연을 마치고 클럽에 가는 것도 분명 음악으로 나올 것이다. 기다려주길 바란다. 그리고 현재 연기도 생각중이다. 몇 가지 거론 되고 있는 것이 있는데, 우선은 음악이랑 투어에 집중하고 싶다. 또한, 사람들이 오늘 공연을 많이 좋아해줘서 미래에 다시 와서 서울뿐만 아니라 여러 도시에서도 공연을 하고 싶다.

리 : Lastly, please say some words to rhythmer fam & your Korean fans.
마지막으로 리드머 식구들과 한국의 팬들에게 한 말씀 부탁한다.

Lloyd : Oh man, I wanna say thank you to all my fans first of all. I wanna send my appreciations to all the fans for supporting me and G-unit since early 2001, 2002. Like I said, it’s added value. It’s one thing for people to know you in your neighborhood., and it’s another thing for your songs to make it all around the world. It takes me 14, 15 hours to get here. That’s a long way from home for people to respect what you do and your music. I got a good first impression to look at that by going to the club last night. People recognize your face, then your face becomes a diamond. I wear diamonds and stuff, that’s for show. When I’m chillin’, your face is a diamond. That comes from respect. People see me and say I respect what you do. Even with the girls, they say I love your music. That’s a powerful thing and to break the language barrier. I know it’s kinda hard to understand a lot, but I guarantee you tonghit, you are going to hear people singing along from word to word. That’s powerful thing. I just want to thank people buying my first album, second album and support everything I do and come into the show. I wanna say to the kids who wanna be rapper to don’t rush. There’s no date on music. I am sure you have a CD at home you bought five years ago, and still listen to it and respect the music. There is no time on music. Don’t rush. You don’t want to be a 16 years old with a wrong record deal and don’t know what you are doing. So don’t rush it man. You are only as good as last you were heard.
Oh man, 우선 모든 팬들에게 감사하다고 말하고 싶다. 나와 G-Unit을 2001년, 2002년부터 좋아해주고 지지해준 팬들에게 감사의 뜻을 전한다. 처음에도 말했듯이 해외에서의 인기는 더욱 의미가 크다. 동네사람이 나를 알아준 다는 것과 지구 반대편에 사는 사람이 나를 알아준다는 것의 의미차이는 정말 크다. 미국에서 한국까지 오는데 14시간, 15시간이 걸렸다. 그렇게 멀리 떨어진 곳에 있는 사람들이 내 음악을 좋아해준다는 것은 정말 대단한 것이다. 어제 클럽에서부터 좋은 첫인상을 받았다. 사람들이 나를 알아보는 그 순간, 내 얼굴은 다이아몬드가 되는 것이다! (자신의 반지와 체인, 펜던트를 들어 보이며) 이렇게 반지나 목걸이를 착용하지만, 이건 그냥 보여주기 위한 것일 뿐이다. 그냥 앉아서 쉴 때는 얼굴이 다이아몬드인 것이다. 그건 그냥 되는 것이 아니라 진정한 존중의 의미다. 사람들이 와서 내가 하는 것을 존중한다고 말하고 여자들이 와서 내 음악이 좋다고 말하는 것, 그건 정말 대단한 것이다. 알아듣고 이해하기 힘들다고 믿지만, 오늘밤에 분명 사람들이 내 노래를 따라 불러 줄 것이다. 팬들에게는 그저 앨범을 사주고 공연에 와주는 것만으로도 고맙다. 그리고 랩퍼가 되고 싶은 친구들에게 서두르지 말라고 말하고 싶다. 음악에는 유통기한이 없다. 5년 전에 산 CD들을 아직도 듣고 그 음악을 존중하는 것을 보면 알지 않는가? 절대 서두르지 마라. 16살에 잘해보겠다고 계약을 했는데, 계약이 이상하게 돌아가는 것을 원하지는 않을 것 아닌가? 저번에 보여준 실력이 오늘 봐도 같을 거니까, 서두르지 마라.

인터뷰 / 임찬수, 강일권, 편집: 강일권, 사진: 황순욱
- Copyrights ⓒ 리드머(www.rhythmer.net) 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지
모든 리드머 콘텐츠는 사전동의 없이 영리적으로 이용하실 수 없습니다.

- Copyrights ⓒ 리드머(www.rhythmer.net) / 글: 리드머
모든 리드머 콘텐츠는 사전동의 없이 영리적으로 이용하실 수 없습니다.

코멘트

• 등록
  • 유호석
    1. 유호석 (2010-10-16 00:33:08 / 120.50.92.**)

추천 0 | 비추 0

2. 비머 벤츠 벤틀리~

이전 목록 다음

관심 게시물

1. 로딩중
GO TOP

사이트맵

리드머(RHYTHMER) | ⓒ 리드머 (Rhythmer). All rights reserved.

이메일 GO TOP