• Youtube
  • 통합검색

컨텐츠

Interview

1. Home
  2. Interview
Esoteric - 펀치라인 공장장이 전하는 7L & Esoteric 이야기
리드머 작성 | 2009-10-26 21:30 업데이트 | 추천추천하기 2 | 스크랩스크랩 | 21,482 View

1326887620.jpg열혈 정박 비트의 일인자 7L과 살인적인 펀치라인의 소유자 에소테릭(Esoteric)이 결성한 보스턴 언더그라운드 힙합팀 세븐 엘 앤 에소테릭(7L & Esoteric)은 현지에서뿐만 아니라 국내 리스너들에게도 많은 지지를 받고 있다. 또한 Esoteric은 얼마 전 한국 프로듀서 결정의 앨범에 참여하며 더욱 국내 팬들의 관심을 불러일으킨 바 있는데, 그런 의미에서 평소 이들의 열렬한 지지자인 필자 김봉현과 양지훈이 에소테릭과 인터뷰를 독자들을 위해 마련했다.

About Rap & Music

리드머(이하 ‘리’): This is Korea's black music website Rhythmer.net. Being a big fan of yours I am really glad to interview you. Please say hello to the hardcore Hiphop fans in Korea. First, I wonder how you first got into the game. Which MC was your musical role model?
여기는 한국의 Rhythmer.net. 당신의 랩을 너무나 좋아하는 팬으로서, 이렇게 인터뷰하게 되어 대단히 기쁘다. 한국의 하드코어 힙합 팬들에게 인사 및 소개를 부탁한다. 먼저 랩을 시작하게 된 계기가 궁금하다. 롤모델이 되었던 엠씨가 있다면?

Esoteric(이하 ‘E'): I would say EPMD and Public Enemy were my biggest inspirations when I first started rhyming.
EPMD와 Public Enemy가 내가 처음 랩을 시작할 때 가장 영감을 주었던 그룹들이다.

리: You got ill rap skills and punchlines. What is your key point of rapping?
당신의 랩스킬은 믿을 수 없을 정도로 굉장하다. 랩을 하는데 가장 중요시 여기는 것은 무엇인가?

E: Thanks very much my man. I used to flow for respect from my elders and peers, now I have that respect so it is mainly for fun, keeping my passion alive, and making a living.
칭찬해 주어서 정말 감사하다. 나는 선배뮤지션과 동료들에 대한 존중을 바탕으로 랩을 한다. 랩은 내게 재미를 주고, 열정을 지속시키고, 삶을 영위할 수 있게 해준다.

리: Your way to writing rhymes seems to be gradually shifting from the past battle rap style. Are there any particular reasons for trying different styles?
가사 쓰는 스타일이 기존의 배틀랩 스타일에서 벗어나 점차 변화하고 있는 것 같다. 다양한 시도를 하는 특별한 이유나 계기가 있는가?

E: I've decided I wanted to challenge myself a little more with "A New Dope" and not feed people the same meal. I will continue the battle rhymes, just balance them out with more introspective themes and concepts.
나는 새 앨범 [A New Dope]를 통해 변화를 감행하기로 했다. 사람들에게 똑같은 것을 계속 보여주기는 싫었다. 물론 배틀 라임도 계속 할 것이다. 더 자기성찰적인 테마와 컨셉으로 둘의 균형을 적절히 맞출 생각이다.

리: You mentioned about the racism of Hiphop industy in the song "Touchy Subject" from the album [DC2: Bars of Death]. Can you tell us about the difficulties you went through as a white rapper?
[DC2: Bars of Death] 앨범에 수록된 “Touchy Subject”란 곡에서 당신은 힙합 안에서 행해지는 인종차별적인 문제에 관해 다룬 적이 있다. 힙합을 하는 ‘백인’이기 때문에 겪었던 어려움에 대하여 구체적으로 말해줄 수 있는가.

E: Back when I first started out, the only legimate white rappers anybody had ever heard of were the Beastie Boys, House of Pain, and 3rd Bass. Naturally, I was always compared to them because they were the reference point for most rap fans back then. There was a lot of negative preconceptions and I was able to eventually shatter them and present myself as an authentic mc, the genuine article.
내가 처음 랩을 시작했을 때, 사람들이 알고 있던 백인 랩퍼라고는 Beastie Boys, House of Pain, 3rd Bass가 전부였다. 따라서 나는 자연스럽게 항상 그들과 비교 당했다. 많은 팬들이 그들을 기준점으로 삼고 있었기 때문이다. 이에 대한 많은 부정적인 편견들이 있었지만 나는 그것을 부수어 버렸고 결국 진짜배기 MC로 나설 수 있었다.

리: Is Christina Aguilera still a Lame Slut (as you mentioned in "Word Association") to you? Her latest release was great.
Christina Aguilera는 당신에게 아직도 ‘Lame Slut'(“Word Association”)인가? 그녀가 낸 최근 앨범은 정말 굉장했는데.

E: Hahaha nah man, I just threw that line in the song, didn't really give it too much thought. In fact I hear she spends every Sunday completely naked, so I have to respect that. That line was just a stab at the commercialized industry that's all. Nothing personal.
하하, 나는 단지 라이밍의 일환으로서 그렇게 썼을 뿐이지 심각하게 생각한 것은 아니다. 그녀는 일요일 내내 벌거벗은 채로 지낸다고 들었는데 그건 높이 사줘야 하는 것 아니겠는가. 그 구절은 단지 상업화된 이 바닥을 비판하기 위해 집어넣었던 것이다. 개인적인 감정은 없다.

About [A New Dope]

리: [A New Dope] was a special album that featured some new variations comparing to the previous 7L & Esoteric releases. Can you tell us the story of making the album? And between you and 7L, who was eagerer for the making of the album?
신작 [A New Dope]는 기존의 7L & Esoteric 음악에선 찾아볼 수 없던 신선한 변화가 인상적인 독특한 앨범이었다. 이와 같은 앨범을 만들게 된 이유는 무엇인가? 또 7L과 당신 중 누가 더 앨범 제작에 적극적이었는가?

E: We were both eager to make the album and make something very different than our previous efforts. As I stated earlier, we didn't want to feed people the same plate of food, time-in and time-out. With our older albums, they all had a similar sound and vibe, and we thought everybody was copying that vibe, and if they weren't copying it, they were definitely running amuck with it and playing it out. Anybody can make a record like that these days. We wanted a challenge, but we wanted to have fun with it too. We are happy with the results.
우리는 둘 다 지금까지와는 다른 시도를 해보고 싶은 열의를 가지고 있었다. 앞서도 말했듯이 사람들에게 똑같은 것을 계속 보여주기 싫었다. 우리의 지난 앨범들은 모두 비슷한 사운드와 바이브를 가지고 있는데 사람들이 그것을 모방한다고 생각했다. 그렇지 않다면 질릴 때까지 들으리라 생각했다. 요즘엔 누구나 그런 앨범을 만들 수 있다. 우리는 도전을 원했지만 동시에 즐거움도 원했다. 그 결과물에 우린 만족한다.

리: Kool Keith featured in the lead single 'Daisycutta' and we wonder how you guys managed to work together.
첫 싱글 “Daisycutta”에 Kool Keith가 참여했는데, 그와 작업하게 된 계기가 궁금하다.

E: Basically we've been fans of his for a long time, and after I made the beat, I thought he would sound dope on it. We're cool with Kutmasta Kurt, and he's down with Keith, so we made it happen through Kurt. Keith got the beat and was into it. He brought out the "Rhythm X flow" on it.
원래 우리는 그의 오랜 팬이었다. 내가 비트를 완성하고 보니 그가 참여하면 잘 어울릴 거라는 생각이 들었다. 다행히 우리는 Kutmasta Kurt와 친분이 있었고 Keith와 작업한 경력이 있는 그가 연결을 해주어 바람이 이루어질 수 있었다. Keith는 우리의 비트를 좋아했고, 곡에서 그는 Rhythm X flow를 선보였다. 

1352445808.jpg

리: What is your favorite track from the new album? Personally I like "Daisycutta" and "Take Note”.
이번 앨범에서 가장 아끼는 곡이 있다면? 개인적으로는 “Daisycutta”와 “Take Note”를 가장 좋아한다.

E: I see, you are a fan on the more straight-forward cuts...we are too but my favorites on that disc were "Perfect Person" and "Feel The Velvet" and "Get Dumb." This album is the only album of ours that we both look back and still like every track. We can each name 3 or 4 tracks on the other albums that we could have re-done or scrapped.
당신은 일반적인 스타일을 선호하는 것 같다. 우리도 그렇지만 개인적으로는 "Perfect Person", “Feel the Velvet"과 "Get Dumb"를 좋아한다. 이번 앨범은 개인적으로 듣고 또 들어도 모든 트랙이 마음에 드는 유일한 앨범이다. 우린 지난 앨범들에서 서너곡 정도는 재녹음하거나 스크랩 할 수도 있었다.

리: The album cover art is impressive. Who came out with the idea?
앨범 자켓이 인상적이다. 누구의 아이디어인가?

E: I came up with the idea after buying on of the original Warhol and Basquiat prints that it was based on. I thought to myself, nobody is gonna understand this or grasp what we are doing, but we really weren't concerned with that. We had a good time making it. That reminds me, I need to hit the gym!
워홀과 바스키아의 원작 프린트를 구입한 후 내가 영감을 받아 제작하였다. 아무도 그것을 이해하지 못할 것이라고 혼자 생각했지만 별로 신경 쓰지는 않았다. 커버 디자인 작업은 매우 즐거웠다. 보고 있으면 마치 꼭 운동을 해야만 할 것 같은 커버이다.

리: The new album is a second LP release from Babygrande. Did you cooperate well with the label during the production? I remember that the release date was postponed and I wonder you had some conflicts with the label.
[DC2 : Bars of Death]에 이어 Babygrande에서의 두 번째 full-length 앨범이다. 앨범 제작 과정에서 레이블의 적절한 협조가 이루어졌는가? 발매일이 예정보다 연기됐던 것으로 기억하는데, 발매 과정에 있어 혹시나 마찰은 없었는지 궁금하다.

E: Yes, it went ok. There were some bumps in the road but we ironed them out. The release date was postponed because the label wanted a little more time to work to different audiences. The music was done and Chuck Wilson, the owner of Babygrande, couldn't say enough about how much he loved the sound of it and stuff. So that was good and we moved forward.
순조롭게 진행되었다. 몇 번의 마찰이 있었지만 잘 해결할 수 있었다. 발매일이 늦춰진 이유는 레이블에서 리스너에게 어필할만한 좀 더 폭넓은 음악을 요구했기 때문이다. 작업이 완료된 후 Babygrande의 오너인 Chuck Wilson은 우리의 음악에 대한 칭찬을 아끼지 않았다. 그리고 알다시피 앨범이 나왔다.

리: [Speaking Real Words EP], [The Soul Purpose], [Dangerous Connection] and [DC2: Bars of Death] were tight albums but some people said that you stick to the similar style. The new album was fresh by showing some new styles. However, some critics mentioned that it may be ‘new’ but not as ‘dope’ as your previous releases. What do you think about this?
[Speaking Real Words EP], [The Soul Purpose], [Dangerous Connection], [DC2: Bars of Death]에 이르기까지 당신들은 항상 꾸준한 퀄리티의 타이트한 음악을 선보여 왔지만, 한편에서는 너무 일관된 스타일을 고집한다는 의견도 있었다. 그러한 의미에서 [A New Dope]는 스타일의 변화라는 측면에서 분명 신선함을 안겨주었지만, 그럼에도 불구하고 ‘New’하지만 ‘Dope’하지는 않다는 평도 없지는 않았던 것 같다. 이 두 가지 의견에 대한 당신의 생각을 말해준다면?

E: Odd, I think we've received tremendous praise from this record, in fact it seemed as though we really gained a new audience of people who are a little tired of the same old stuff. Honestly the press we've received has been great...maybe not from the kids who are still into that Soul Purpose sound but from kids who might be a little more open to different directions. I think people that have been buying our records since '98 or '99, say...since the day "Speaking Real Words" came out, have grown with us, and respected and enjoyed the change. People that got into us in 2005 through Jedi Mind Tricks or AOTP and went back and bought all of our old stuff recently, are probably still hungry for the battle oriented lyricism. We do our best to appease both crowds.
동의할 수 없다. 우리의 최근작은 엄청난 호평을 받은 걸로 알고 있다. 과거의 진부한 스타일에 질린 사람들로부터 새로운 관심을 받은 것도 사실이다. 솔직히 말해 우리가 받은 평가는 상당히 좋았다. [Soul Purpose]를 고수하는 사람들은 별로 안 좋아 할 수도 있겠지만 좀 더 개방적인 사람들로부터는 호평을 받았다. 내 생각엔 98년이나 99년, 다시 말해 [Speaking Real Words] 출시 때부터 우리의 음반을 쭉 구입해온 팬들은 우리와 함께 성장해왔고 그간의 변화를 존중하며 즐겨줬다. 2005년에 Jedi Mind Tricks나 AOTP를 통해 우리를 처음 접하고 그 이후에 예전의 결과물을 쭉 구입하고 있는 리스너들은 좀 더 배틀 지향적 가사에 목말라 할 것이다. 우리는 두 부류를 모두 만족시키기 위해 최선을 다하고 있다.      

About People

리: I heard that you casually met with 7L, your musical partner for last 10 years, at the radio station. Can you tell us about this in detail?
7L과는 라디오 프로그램을 진행하다 우연히 만나게 된 것으로 알고 있다. 10여 년간 한솥밥을 먹고 있는 그와의 운명적인 첫 만남에 대해 얘기해준다면?

E: We always answer this one quickly because people have been asking us this question for over a decade. I'll tell you exactly how it went down. I was walking on the campus of Salem State College and...honestly, on that campus, you didn't see many kids who looked like me then...wearing suede Pumas in '92 with Polo rugbies and shit...Pumas were dead and gone, and this was the first time they were bringing them back out...so anyway...I was approached by a kid who looked similar to me...looked like he was into hip-hop. His name was Trademarc. He asked if I was the dude who did the radio show on SSC because him and his boys listen to it and can relate to the tracks I played...his boys were 7l and Karma, and he introduced me to both of them. Since we all had the same goals in mind and similar musical tastes, we all formed a group and made our first step into actual recording studios at Bristol Studios in Boston. We're all still really close and work closely on music related shit.
우리는 10년이 넘게 똑같은 질문을 받았기 때문에 항상 대충 답변하곤 하는데 이번 기회에 어떻게 만나게 되었는지 정확히 설명해 주겠다. 어느 날 나는 Salem 스테이트 칼리지의 캠퍼스를 걸어가고 있었다. 그 당시 캠퍼스에선 나처럼 입고 다니는 사람은 드물었다. 92년에 퓨마 스웨이드를 신고 폴로 럭비티를 입고 있었다. 퓨마는 유행이 지나 인기가 없었는데 그 무렵 막 처음으로 재발매를 시작하고 있었다. 어쨌든 그때 나와 비슷한 차림을 한 어떤 사람이 내게 접근했다. 힙합에 빠져있는 듯한 차림을 한 사람이 말이다. Trademarc였다. 그는 내가 혹시 학교의 라디오 방송에 나온 사람이 아니냐고 물어봤다. 그와 그의 친구들이 내 방송을 들었는데, 마침 그때 내가 틀은 곡이랑 유사했기 때문이다. 그의 친구들이 바로 7L과 Karma였고 우린 서로 소개받게 되었다. 우린 서로 같은 목표와 비슷한 음악적 취향을 가지고 있었기 때문에 그룹을 결성하였고 보스톤의 Bristol Studios에서 작업을 시작하면서 첫 발을 내딛게 되었다.

리: I heard that you originally wanted to form a trio 'God Complex' with 7L and Karma. How did you end up with reorganizing as a duo?
원래는 Karma까지 합세한 3인조 그룹 God Complex를 조직하고 활동하려 했던 것으로 알려져 있는데, 7L & Esoteric의 2인조로 재편하게 된 과정이 궁금하다.

E: We did form the trio, we even put out a 12" with a single called "Strontium 90." That was the first hip-hop release on Brick. We became "7l & Esoteric" after Karma decided he wanted to put more effort into his graphic design career. That turned out to be the best move for him and us, because we all remain really close friends and continue our relationship to this day...he has brought all of our cover concepts to life and has been instrumental in a lot of our moves and decisions throughtout our career.
처음에 3인조를 결성하고 “Strontium 9"이란 싱글이 포함된 12‘도 발매했었다. 그것이 Brick에서 출시된 최초의 힙합 레코드였다. Karma가 그래픽 디자이너로의 진로를 결심하며 탈퇴한 이후 우리는 7L & Esoteric으로 개명했다. 그것은 우리 모두에게 가장 좋은 선택이었다. 왜냐하면 그는 우리와 오늘날까지도 매우 친하게 지내면서 우리의 커버 컨셉을 구상해줄 뿐만 아니라 커리어 전반에서의 의사결정에 대한 조언도 해주기 때문이다.

리: Army of the Pharaohs seems to be a crew consisting of Boston MCs and Philly MCs. Can you tell us more about the AOTP? (The concept and purpose of the group)
Army of the Pharaohs는 당신의 Boston과 Vinnie Paz의 Philly가 결합한 크루로 알고 있다. AOTP는 정확히 어떠한 개념이며, 무엇을 지향하는 크루인가?

E: AOTP is something that Vinnie Paz of JMT had pioneered around '97 or so. The first reference to the crew was on their first album "Psycho Social," and we actually used the phrase on the b-side to the first AOTP 12". His idea was to build a group of like-minded super emcees and make music that will crush other emcees' dreams and really weed out all the wack bullshit.
AOTP는 97년경에 JMT의 Vinnie Paz가 결성하였다. JMT의 첫 앨범 [Psycho Social,]에 처음 AOTP에 대한 언급이 나온다. 그리고 그것을 AOTP의 첫 12" b-side에 실제로 수록했다. Vinnie의 목표는 마음 맞는 슈퍼 MC들로 그룹을 구성해 다른 MC들의 꿈과 쓰레기 같은 것들을 짓밟는 것이었다.

리: Please tell us about Babygrande. We are surprised by their massive amount of productions. I guess artists in Babygrande should be very close to each other not only musically but also personally.
Babygrande에 관한 간략한 소개를 부탁한다. 쉴 새 없이 앨범을 발매하는 당신들의 열정이 놀랍다. 또한 당신들은 음악적으로 뿐 아니라 인간적으로도 상당히 친할 것 같다는 생각이 든다.

E: Well, Babygrande is a label, not a family. I would say the idea is to present that perception, where everyone is all in the same gang and making moves as one big team. That's a romanticized idea, but it never works out that way.  It isn't really like that. It is in the sense of AOTP, because I'm very close with Vin, Celph, Ap, Outerspace, and the crew but a lot of other artists on Babygrande I don't really know and I know that some other cats don't really know either.  No disrespect to them, I just don't know them.
Babygrande는 가족이 아니라 레이블이다. 모두가 하나의 큰 패거리로 뭉쳐 같이 행동하는 개념이다. 사실 이것은 이상적인 개념이고 실제로는 항상 이렇지는 않다. 나는 AOTP 내에서 Vinnie Paz, Celph, Apathy, Outerspace 등과 매우 친하기 때문에 항상 같이 행동하지만, Babygrande에 소속된 다른 아티스트들은 잘 모르고 그들도 나를 잘 모른다. 그들을 무시하는 것이 아니라 단지 친분이 없는 것뿐이다.       

1068699908.jpg

리: Not a single Babygrande artist featured in Hi-Tek’s new album. Is there any particular reason for that?
[Hi-Teknology 2]에 Babygrande 소속 아티스트들의 참여가 없었던 특별한 이유라도 있는가?

E: There's an example of someone I don't know that well. Hi-Tek. I'd say that album was done before Babygrande really knew about it, and it needed a home so Hi-Tek shopped it to Babygrande. See, generally, Babygrande doesn't put these albums together, they are presented with these albums by the artist and if they think they can sell it, then they make deals for them for a certain amount of money. Then they decide the best way to market it. It's a business. If that artist has a bunch of marketable names on his album, and is marketable himself, then he can get a good advance and budget for the project.
Hi-Tek은 내가 앞서 말했던 친분 없는 아티스트 중 하나다. 그의 앨범은 그가 Babygrande와 계약하기 전에 이미 완성되었던 앨범으로 알고 있다. Babygrande에서는 보통 앨범을 처음부터 제작해주지 않고, 아티스트들이 완성된 앨범을 가지고 오면 팔릴만한 앨범에 한해 일정한 금액을 해당 아티스트들에게 지불하여 계약한다. 그러고 난 뒤 그 앨범을 판매할 최선의 방법을 찾는다. 그것이 비즈니스이다. 앨범에 시장성 있는 아티스트들이 참여한다거나 아티스트 본인이 시장성 있다면 프로젝트에 대한 예산을 많이 확보할 수 있다.  

리: You worked with different producers such as Stoupe, Count Bass D and Jon Doe. Whose beat suits you the best?
7L 외에도 Stoupe, Count Bass D, Jon Doe 등 많은 프로듀서와 작업을 해왔는데 본인의 랩과 가장 어울린다고 생각하는 프로듀서를 꼽는다면?

E: 7l's beats suit me best but as far as anybody else, it really depends on the beat. I like working with Beyonder and my man DC too. I guess we have worked with a lot of people that we enjoyed doing tracks with, it also depends on the time period too. In 2000, I really liked working with DJ Spinna, 2001 Kutmasta Kurt, 2003 J-Zone...now...I'd like to work with someone like Marc Nguyen Tan, the artist who goes by the name "Colder." His track "To The Music" is very inspiring. Find it.
7L의 비트가 나와 가장 잘 맞지만 사실 프로듀서의 이름이 아니라 비트 자체가 중요하다.
난 Beyonder와 DC와의 작업을 좋아한다. 즐겁게 작업하기 위해선 시기도 중요하다. 2000년엔 DJ Spinna와 일하는 것이 즐거웠고 2001년엔 Kutmasta Kurt, 2003년엔 J-Zone 그리고 지금은 Marc Nguyen Tan이나 Colder와 일하는 것이 즐겁다. 그의 곡 "To the Music"은 상당히 놀라운 곡이다. 찾아서 들어보라.

리: You worked with Main Flow, Akrobatik, Reks, Apathy, Mr. Lif and etc and created various materials. With whom did you work in a perfect harmony?
지금까지 Main Flow, Akrobatik, Reks, Apathy, Mr. Lif 등 많은 랩퍼와 짝을 이뤄 다양한 결과물을 만들어왔다. 가장 호흡이 잘 맞았던 엠씨를 한 사람만 꼽는다면?

E: I work best with the dudes from AOTP really...Jedi Mind Tricks, Apathy, Celph Titled, Outerspace etc. Other cats I've enjoyed collaborating with were Count Bass D, Inspectah Deck, Main Flow, and Akrobatik. We had a good time making Battle Royal, which is off of his first EP. That reminds me, working with John Cena from the WWE was a lot of fun too...my connection to him was through Trademarc, my man who also introduced me to 7l and Karma if you're paying attention haha..
Jedi Mind Tricks, Apathy, Celph Titled, Outerspace 등 AOTP 멤버들과 가장 호흡이 잘 맞는다. Count Bass D, Inspectah Deck, Main Flow와 Akrobatik과의 작업도 즐거웠다. Akrobatik의 첫 EP에 수록된 “Battle Royal”의 녹음은 특히 기억에 남는다. WWE의 John Cena와의 작업도 재미있었다. 그와는 Trademarc를 통해 작업할 수 있었다. 인터뷰를 제대로 읽고 있다면 Trademarc가 내게 7L과 Karma를 소개해준 친구란 건 알 수 있을 테고. 하하.

About Korea

리: Do you know anything about Korea? We went to the quarter finals in the World Cup 2002. Also Rhythmer.net is a finest black music media in Korea so please do remember us. We will appreciate it.
한국을 알고 있는가? 우리는 2002 월드컵 4강의 나라다. 또한 Rhythmer.net은 한국을 대표하는 흑인음악 미디어니 꼭 기억해 달라.

E: Yeah I'll certainly remember you. And most definitely, Korea rules! I think Korea invented metal typeface...like before Germany and shit.
물론 알고 있다. 한국이 최고다! 독일이나 다른 나라보다 더 먼저 금속활자를 발명한 것으로 알고 있다.

리: 7L & Esoteric albums are being imported to Korea whenever released. Did you know that there are many fans of yours in Korea?
한국에서 7L & Esoteric의 전 앨범은 발매되는 족족 수입되고 있다. 한국에도 당신들의 팬이 적지 않다는 사실을 알고 있는가?

E: I had an idea, but didn't know how many!I We are very grateful.
대충 알고 있었지만 그 정도인 줄은 몰랐다. 매우 고맙게 생각한다.

리: As you know, A Korean producer "Loptimist" participated in AOTP's album and you worked with "Kyuljung " for the song ‘All About’. Do you plan to work with other Korean musicians? Also please tell us about impressive Korean Hiphop track or artists if you ever had a chance to listen to Korean Hiphop music.
당신도 알다시피 한국의 프로듀서 Loptimist가 AOTP의 앨범에 참여했고, 당신은 이미 결정과 “All About”이란 곡으로 함께 작업한 바 있다. 혹시 다른 한국 뮤지션과 작업을 진행하고 있거나 진행할 계획은 없는가? 또한 한국의 힙합음악을 들어본 적이 있다면, 인상 깊었던 음악과 뮤지션에 대해 말해 달라.

E: It was 2004 The EL hit me up. I was impressed by his stuff and he wanted to get something down . Then we had done What I Mean. I wanted to include What I Mean in Too Much Posse But He couldn’’t meet my release date. Anyhow we have been keeping in touch since then and he hooked me up with Kyul Jung. I love the joints I've worked on, and as cliche' as it can sounds, music is universal and definitely a universal language. Many say hip-hop is over-saturated, but it is also very refreshing when you hear people on point with their craft like these producers.
2004년에 The EL(현재 앨범 준비 중인 한국 프로듀서)을 통해 알게 되었다. 그의 음악은 놀라웠고 그는 열정에 가득 차 있었다. 그래서 우린 “What I Mean”을 녹음했다. 난 그 곡을 [Too Much Posse]에 수록하고 싶었지만 그가 내 발매일을 맞추지 못했다. 어쨌거나 우리는 계속 연락했고 그가 내게 결정을 소개시켜줬다. 난 결정의 그 곡을 아주 좋아한다. 매우 전형적인 비트이지만 그렇기 때문에 역시 음악은 세계 공통어란 것을 실감했다. 많은 사람들이 힙합은 지나치게 퍼져있다고 말하지만 이러한 프로듀서들의 기법은 여전히 신선하다.

Finishing

리: I heard that you are currently working on your solo album. When is it going to be released?
솔로 앨범을 제작중인 것으로 알고 있다. 언제쯤 발매되는가?

E: The date is not set yet, but expect something shortly...probably over the summer. It is called "Saving Seamus Ryan."
아직 정확한 날짜는 잡지 않았지만 아마도 여름이 지날 때쯤에 나올 것 같다. 타이틀은  [Saving Seamus Ryan]이다.

리: Did you ever think of collaborating with other producers rather than 7L?
7L 외에 다른 프로듀서와 합작 앨범을 만들어볼 생각은 없는가?

E: Yeah definitely, but I've been doing a lot of my own production lately too so I've been doing a lot of "solo collabos" haha
물론 있다. 하지만 나는 최근에 자작곡을 많이 만들고 있다. 말하자면 솔로 합작을 하고 있는 셈이다 하하.

리: Do you have plans for working with Beyonder or Celph Titled as a project group?
혹시 Beyonder, Celph Titled 등 다른 엠씨와 프로젝트 앨범을 제작할 계획이 있다면?

E: Realistically, not right now. We talk about it often enough though!
현실적으로 당장의 계획은 없다. 하지만 이야기는 오가고 있다.

리: What do you normally do in your spare time? (besides music)
평소 음악 활동 외 여가시간에 무슨 일을 하는지 궁금하다.

E: I hang with my puppy Logan. He's an 8 month-old yellow Labrador Retriever. Probably the closest thing to a God in my world.
우리 집 강아지 로건과 놀곤 한다. 8개월 된 라브라도 리트리버이다. 내 주변에서 신에게 가장 가까운 존재일 것이다.         

리: Lastly, please say some words to your Korean fans. Incidentally speaking, you might think Korea as a wasteland of Hiphop, but there are many die hard Hiphop fans including myself who really try hard to understand and enjoy the music. We can't fully understand the language and culture since we are non-natives; however we got passions to overcome that. We are going to watch your careers to the end with a great interest. Thank you again for the interview. Speaking Real Words for Life!!
마지막으로 한국의 힙합 팬들에게 한마디 부탁한다. 개인적으로 말해주고 싶은 게 있다면, 당신에게는 우리 한국이 힙합 불모지나 다름없게 비쳐질지 모르지만, 여기에도 나를 포함한 수많은 이들이 힙합문화를 진정으로 이해하고 또 향유하기 위해 노력하고 있다는 사실을 알아주었으면 좋겠다. 우리는 당신들과 같은 Native가 아니라 언어와 문화의 핸디캡이 있지만, 동시에 우리가 그것들을 극복하기 위한 열정을 가지고 있고, 또 그것을 실천하고 있음을 알아 달라. 우리는 언제까지고 당신의 행보를 여기 한국에서 깊은 관심을 가지고 지켜볼 것이다. 인터뷰에 응해줘서 진심으로 고맙다. Speaking Real Words for Life!!

E: Well that right there just about said it. I can tell by the in-depth interview that you understand more about us than some kids in Boston! You get maximum respect from us and I respect the lengths you must go to in order to get the music and appreciate what the lyrics are saying from all english-slang-speaking artists. I can tell that there are plenty of people in Korea that respect the culture and have incredible passion for the music. That's really rewarding to hear that many here in Korea respect what we do.
이 질문에 중요한 이야기가 다 들어있는 것 같다. 인터뷰 질문으로 짐작컨대 인터뷰어는 보스턴에 있는 몇몇 애들보다 우리를 더 잘 알고 있는 것 같다. 우리는 한국 힙합팬들을 진심으로 존중한다. 슬랭 영어가사로 도배된 외국 음악을 일일이 찾아 듣는 노고를 매우 존중한다. 한국에는 타문화를 존중하고 음악에 대한 엄청난 열정으로 무장한 사람들이 많을 것 같다. 우리가 하는 일을 존중해주는 사람들이 한국에 있다는 사실은 매우 고무적이다.

리: Please tell us what you come across in your mind when you look at those words.
다음 단어들을 보고 바로 떠오르는 생각을 간단히 표현해달라.

Boston - Home.
Underground - MPC2000.
7L - Friend.
George Bush - Enemy.
Hiphop is Dead? - True.

리: Please choose what you prefer.
둘 중 선호하는 것을 택하면 된다.

Christina Aguilera or Britney Spears - Aguilera.
Source or XXL - Elemental.
Rakim or Kool G Rap - Rakim.
BDP or EPMD - EPMD

인터뷰. 글: 김봉현, 양지훈, 번역 : Soul Poet
-
Copyrights ⓒ 리드머(www.rhythmer.net) 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지

- Copyrights ⓒ 리드머(www.rhythmer.net) / 글: 리드머
모든 리드머 콘텐츠는 사전동의 없이 영리적으로 이용하실 수 없습니다.

코멘트

• 등록
  • Messlit
    1. Messlit (2012-03-05 00:21:03 / 118.33.55.**)

추천 0 | 비추 0

2. 흐미 이런 명인터뷰가있엇네

이전 목록 다음

관심 게시물

1. 로딩중
GO TOP

사이트맵

리드머(RHYTHMER) | ⓒ 리드머 (Rhythmer). All rights reserved.

이메일 GO TOP